Thursday, March 21, 2013

Not all gluten free is created equal

My mom has a chocolate chip applesauce cookie recipe that is to die for.  It's very cake-like, light and sweet.
Yesterday, because we were feeling confident, my mom and I tried these cookies gluten free.
They were a disaster.
My mom described them as horse pucks.
(She grew up on a farm...she would know.)
They didn't taste much better than they looked either.  I would compare them to tasting like horse pucks...but luckily I've never tasted a real one to compare.
They turned out nothing like the gluten filled original.

Because we live in Idaho and my mom lives on a canyon edge...she gave my kids full permission to huck these babies as far as they could muster.
Maybe the rock chucks will like them!
The boys had a BLAST hucking cookies while I tried desperately to get a picture with my phone.  It was raining and I wasn't about to step off the porch and get wet.  

Andrew mid-throwing decided to try one.
"Hey Mom!  These aren't that bad!"
"Yes they are Andrew...quit eating and throw!"

Saylor even got into the cookie action.
Fun memories...however silly they are.

To make my mom feel better...I went home and whipped up a batch of eclairs.
I stole the rest of her gluten free domata flour so I could do so.
Steve was happy and so was my mom.
Win Win!

We'll stick to cream puffs for a while and stay clear of cake like cookies for a while.

...and just for fun...
Colby and Saylor played "Adventure-ers" last night after early baths complete with bandanna's, emergency gear, and homemade maps.
My favorite part of Colby's hand written map was "Cangarew Cave"- that's Kangaroo Cave if you can't read phonetically.
I was folding clothes on my bed- dang mirrors.

No comments:

Post a Comment