Monday, March 11, 2013

We've Come a Long Way Baby!

 Today was one for the record books.
It was the end of an era.
It was epic.

Today I did not go even ONCE to Carter's school for diabetes.
NOT ONCE.

I (or my spouse or my mom) has gone into the school EVERYDAY since Carter was in kindergarten.
That's 3 1/2 years of going into the school once, twice or even three times a day.

Today...Carter took his phone and texted me his numbers at both snack times and at lunch.  I even got a phone call at 10:30 am from him telling me he felt low, was 110 and wanted to eat a cinnamon bear.
He then texted me what he ate at lunch and the amount of insulin delivered.
Man Oh Man...have we come a long way in six years. 

(March 4, 2007)
I couldn't wrap my head around this little three year old ever being able to take care of himself diabetically.
He's living proof that miracles can happen.
(Yes, I think a nine year old owning his diabetes and owning it like a rock star is a miracle.)

I can't describe my adoration and love for this little man.
He has been my hero from day one of this diabetic mess.

Carter thank you for being so strong, so wonderful and so utterly fantastic.
You are an amazing human being!
I am humbled to be your mother.
Thank you for teaching me what true resilience and strength can be.

(Would have posted a picture of Carter today...but I wasn't at the school to take one!  I was with Saylor celebrating our milestone by eating ice cream.  Please don't tell Carter!)

On other diabetic notes....
We're in the process of ordering Carter a new pump.
We received his first pump by way of the The Virginia Commonwealth.  (Don't feel guilty one bit...we paid out of state tuition...and are still paying for it!)
Because of warranties and one small upgrade, we have not had to pay for a replacement for 6 years.  
Until now.  His current pump in no longer under warranty and needs to be replaced.
I talked with a representative today from our diabetes supplier and with our insurance and pump trade in refund we only have to pay $1,200 for his new pump.
Gulp.
I'm trying very hard to be grateful I don't have to shell out the full $6,000.

Carter is excited and has requested a blue one.
It should be here as soon as all the paper work is officially filled out.  I'll be grateful we are under warranty again.  The thought of going back to syringe therapy if there was a pump malfunction make me shiver. 



No comments:

Post a Comment