Colby Virge Dixon was born April 25, 2006 at Henrico Doctors Hospital in Richmond Virgina.
(in the room right next door where Carter was born 2 1/2 years earlier)
My doctor and I "planned" an induction that morning where I came into her office at 8am with my water "already" broken. This is all code for her breaking my water in her office and sending me two floors up to labor and delivery. She was sneaky and I loved her for it.
My mom had flown out to Virginia and was with me that day. Steve unfortunately (or fortunately...depending on how he looks at it) had boat load of tests that day. Surprise Surprise. One of them being a lab thing that previously had been stated that NOBODY was allowed to miss come hell or high water. It was only when Steve told his professor that his wife was in the hospital in labor did she kick Steve out and scold him for not being with me. I have a fondness for that professor to this day.
So the story goes that obviously I walked into labor and delivery with my mom. My nurse later confessed to me that all the nurses took bets on my age when I walked in. They settled on 17 and were very surprised and relieved when they found out that
1. I was 28
2. on my third child
3. all of which had the same father
4. who I had been married to the entire time
What these nurses see I'm sure would shock me to death.
My labor was pretty mild and I spent the morning watching daytime TV (boring) while my mom sat in the chair wearing everything she brought plus my robe because she was freezing. Oh how I wish I would have taken a picture of her croqueting in my bathrobe! I, of course, was sweating up a storm.
Around 3 pm things starting rolling.
Steve walked in 15 minutes before Colby was born...and the nurses started cheering. They gave him a standing ovation. They also couldn't stop talking about how much he looked like Edward Norton. I was ticked...what about the lady on the bed in labor...hello?! (Sad that present active fathers at that hospital must have been a rare occurrence.)
I remember my contractions becoming overwhelming despite my epidural and I started yelling at Steve to quit telling me what to do. For craps sakes...I didn't want to focus on his face! My mom and Steve high-fived each other and pronounced me in transition. They were dirty jerks.
Colby was born just a few minutes later.
I loved my doctor and nurse that day. They both listened to me when I said "Once I hit a 7...it's all over in 15 minutes." And it was. They were ready and things went very smooth.
Colby was the first baby I was allowed to hold right after he was born. Both Carter and Andrew were whisked away due to breathing problems. I was taken back with how hot and sticky Colby was. It was a new sensation to me. New and wonderful.
7 lbs 6 oz and all boy!
Yep...we were in love.
(For the record, having your hair in french braids like a 9 year old school girl is the BEST way to labor. It was completely out of my way the entire time...even if I looked like I had been through a tornado after. Thanks Mom, six years later, for braiding my hair. Can you do it again when I'm having this next one?)
Dr. Dausch and the Dixon family.
Loved this woman!
Like all Wimpy White Dixon Boys, Colby started having a little trouble breathing and was taken to the intermediate nursery. He was back by the time I was taken to my room.
My wonderful mother brought the boys up to see their brother that evening.
Andrew was so proud!
First "family of five" photo.
My recovery room was a double room and we were lucky not to have to share with anyone. This is the view I had of Steve almost every minute he was at the hospital with me. Poor guy was in his 2nd year of school and studied non-stop. I'm so grateful he worked so hard in school to get through and support our family. It couldn't have been easy for him.
It think he might have even gotten less sleep than I did in the next few months.
Carter's brown eyes are so cute I had to include this picture.
Now...if only Andrew felt this way about Colby now.
Maybe he didn't study the entire time.
There is no questioning the paternity of this child.
Definitely, definitely a Dixon!
No comments:
Post a Comment