In dental school, Steve didn't have a lot of time off. But when he did, we tried to play...as cheaply as possible.
One of the best things to do in the fall was go to one of the pumpkin patches and "pick your own" pumpkin. (Disclaimer: we found out very quick that "pick your own" meant choose one of the pumpkins that a kind migrant worker pulled off a truck and strategically placed in the field early that morning for our convenience. Honestly, none of the pumpkins were still attached to the vine and were suspiciously close to the road...but the kids didn't seem to mind.)
Our favorite pumpkin patch was at Ashland Berry Farms just a quick drive north of Richmond. It included a short hay ride out to the pumpkin field where you could pick whatever pumpkin your heart desired. We went almost every year we lived in Virginia. The first time we went, I was nine months pregnant with Carter, and luckily I don't have pictures. I was even luckier the bumpy ride didn't put me into labor.
We went the next fall when Andrew was four and Carter was almost one.
I still laugh every time I look at this picture of Carter's smile!
These next pictures were from the fall of 2006 when Colby was six months old.
I remember it was ridiculously hot that day and I was sure Colby was going to be sunburned. Hence the burp cloth make-shift hat.
This cuteness still slays me.
Notice the pumpkins on the side of the path...neatly placed together? It was sham I tell you. A sham.
But the sham didn't keep us from going. The kids didn't care, they just loved being there.
The fall colors were beautiful and I will always miss the trees and greenery of Virginia.
For a nominal fee, anyone could have as many pumpkins they could carry three steps. I don't know how Steve pulled this one off, but we robbed that pumpkin patch that year.
So cute...I had to post another one.



No comments:
Post a Comment