Friday, February 8, 2013

Before I forget

Something I have missed after going gluten free is whole wheat waffles. 
I love them.
I love how you can eat them and not get that sick 'I just ate waffles for breakfast' feeling.
I've been longing for a replacement ever since.  The past few weeks I've been studying oatmeal waffles as an alternative.  I have tried a few recipes and have been disappointed.  The ones I made yesterday morning my husband made the comment, "Well, they are definitely edible...."  Yeah, not really what I was looking for.   Today, I took this same recipe and tweaked it and was extremely happy with the results.
They were light (it's oatmeal people.  When I say light...I mean lighter than most.), crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.  There is still an oatmeal texture to them.  It's different, but good.
They are also much cheaper to make than the Pamela's baking mix waffles which I LOVE, but $17 a bag for waffles doesn't seem worth it.


So without hesitation, here are my gluten free oatmeal waffles.
Enjoy.

2 cups oat flour (I make mine in the blender)
1 cup milk
combine milk and oat flour and let sit for at least 20 minutes.  (It will turn to glop...you will say "Ewww gross, this will NEVER work," but it will!)

2 eggs  
Separate eggs and beat whites until stiff and save for later.

Combine egg yolks with:
2 Tlb oil
 6 oz vanilla yogurt
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
milk/oat glop mixture

fold in egg whites very last

Bake on preheated waffle iron until crispy.
They are best eaten right away.  I like mine with peanut butter and maple syrup.
 I freeze any leftovers and use the toaster to reheat.




1 comment:

  1. "Give it to Jill...she'll figure it out!" You are the best and we all really appreciate your test kitchen and darling little guinea pigs. Thanks for always sharing.

    ReplyDelete