Thursday, February 28, 2013

OBX

All over in Richmond people had bumper stickers with OBX written on them.
What was that all about?
Then I learned.
It stands for the Outer Banks in North Carolina.

Spring of 2007 we had a Dixon family reunion at the Outer Banks.
Best vacation ever. 
Wish I had the $$$ to fly my family there every year.
The extended Dixon Family rented a large home about 2 blocks from the beach the week before spring break (before it got crazy with teenagers and college students partying away).
We could walk to the beach with all our gear and let the kids play like crazy.
The weather was beautiful, not too hot or cold, but the water was still too cold for the kids to really play.  They didn't seem to mind and stayed on the sand.
I'm not a beach person.  I don't like sand in every orifice of my children and every nook and cranny of my home and car...but for some odd reason, I chilled out this week and just enjoyed. (not like me at all)





Don't remember why Andrew is not wearing his suit at the moment.
He wasn't bothered and was the only one who would brave the cold water, tighty-whities and all.

The Death Grip
Carter did NOT like the water and hung on to Steve like a baby orangutan.

Just leave me be in the sand!

Tough guy

At the rental house, there was a hot tub and pool.
Andrew was the only one I allowed in the hot tub.
Diabetes and hot tubs do not mix...this was pre-insulin pump.  Now we say go for it!

Carter (non-swimmer) mostly played on the pool steps...until he slipped off and went under.
I had to rush from the other side of the pool and pull him out.
I'll never forget his little pudgy hands struggling under the water.
I look back and am surprised how calm I stayed.
He lived...I'm glad!
(Still get a sick feeling just writing about it.  Ick.)

Colby stayed out of the water for all our sakes.

While we were there we also visited the Wright Brothers National Memorial and visitor center.
The kids fleeced us by getting airplanes.


Another day we visited the local aquarium.

I still don't like sharks this close to my kids' heads.

You know that shark is looking at Colby as something tasty.

Because we were off season, there were a lot of places closed...but the t-shirt shops were always open.
Hurray for pirates!

We were at the outer banks for almost a week and spent our time being with family.
We all took turns cooking and everyone had their own rooms so little kids were able to nap.
Steve's dad even rented a boat and the boys went fishing on the ocean one morning and brought home fish that we fried for dinner.

If I could pick one place I could take my family again, the Outer Banks would be it.
Loved it...even with the sand.


No comments:

Post a Comment