When I think about living in Virginia, I think about the time I spent at home with my kids...because that's where I spent my days when we lived there. (obviously) Sometimes it's easy to focus on the pictures of our little boys and the fun places we took them instead of the REAL reason we lived in Richmond for five years. Steve did actually go to school.
He went to Virginia Common Wealth Dental School to be exact.
Most week days Steve would spend 10-11 hours on campus, come home and be with us until the kids were in bed, and then spent the rest of the evening studying. I'm not sure how much sleep he really got in those five years- poor man. But oh how grateful I was for the few hours every evening he spent with me and the boys. Those were golden hours and Steve made the most of them. I rarely felt neglected and knew that despite his insane school schedule, we came first.
I also remember the first time I met him on campus for a small lunch break. I was huge and pregnant with Carter and had little three year old Andrew in tow. I got to campus, looked around and all I could see were the darling professionally dressed female dental students. I felt like a bloated whale and Steve was around these educated (not pregnant/not chubby/not exhausted/not moody) women all day. I was extremely intimidated. I'm so grateful Steve always made me feel loved and important...despite my pregnant/chubby/exhausted/moody condition. No joking aside, I married a wonderful man.
I don't have a lot of pictures of Steve actually at the dental school.
I wish I would have made an effort to take more. It was his entire life for five years.
During his first year of dental school (second year we were there) was the White Coat Ceremony.
The students were presented with their official white coats...an important step on the road to dentistry greatness.
(I just asked Steve what the actual purpose of this ceremony was...he said he doesn't remember. Hey, but it makes for good pictures!)
In line to be coated.
Some of the students in Steve's graduating class.
I spent a lot of time with their wives!
Our family.
(Have absolutely no idea why this picture is edited this way!)
My parents came to town the week of White Coat and attended with me and the boys.
After the ceremony, Steve then took all of us on a tour of where he spent his days (and some evenings) studying and working away.
He was in his element I tell you.
This guy loved what he was learning.
To this day I can't express my gratitude enough over the fact that Steve loves his work. I can't imagine him having to support our family with a job he dreaded.
(Just ask him about pulling teeth or placing an implant and you will see the same gleam- however maniacal- in his eyes.)
Other than the White Coat Ceremony, some of the only other pictures I have of Steve's school was at a Mission of Mercy (MOM) Project in Wise, Virginia.
Dental students volunteered their time to give away free dentistry to an under served community.
People would line up for hours to receive the free work.
Every time I look at these pictures I'm overwhelmed at the enormity of this project.
Besides being a wonderful service to the community,
the MOM projects helped dental students hone their craft. There is nothing like real world experience to make a doctor better.
Is is ok to admit that this picture makes my mouth hurt?
Got to love men in scrubs.
The last pictures I have of actual dentistry in Virginia was when I was the patient.
Steve didn't touch real honest to goodness patients until his third year, and I had the privilege (AHHHH) of being his very first one.
I owned the first live human tooth he touched with a drill. Now that is love and devotion if you ask me.
When he diagnosed the cavity his eyes sparkled. It was a little sickening.
He then, practically dancing in his chair, asked me if he could fix it.
At least he asked.
I said yes...and then dreamed of all the new shoes he would owe me one day.
He still hasn't covered that debt. (wink wink)
Colby was tiny at the time and spent the entire procedure in my lap like this.
Cute Dixon dad with cute Dixon baby.
(For the record...Steve has since worked on that same tooth multiple times and it now has had a root canal and crown. I have recently ground that crown down to a nub and it needs more work. It still hurts every so often...and Steve is biding his time before he gets to yank it out and put in an implant. He dances in his chair every time he thinks about it. I've stopped telling him when it hurts! I only have myself, my diet soda addiction, and cinnamon candies to blame.)
No comments:
Post a Comment