I took Andrew to run a few errands tonight. Mostly because he possesses the ability to get in and out of the car by himself without assistance. He can also keep up with me when I'm walking in super fast-let's get out of this store-mode and he doesn't feel the need to touch everything he walks past. Twelve year olds are great. Everybody needs to have one.
We have silly conversations when it is just him and I. I love when he opens up and allows me to be privy to his middle school world. One conversation tonight was about a certain friend and how annoying Andrew finds his constant hair flipping. I told Andrew he should call his friend Benny Bieber...Andrew retorted that his friend would actually like it. This kid really likes his flippy Justin Bieber hair I guess.
After we checked out at Walmart tonight (still ashamed I went there...I was desperate) I put my arm around Andrew and he immediately threw it off. I forget quickly how lame and embarrassing I am. I asked him to rate my embarrassing factor and then teased that I would be pregnant again at his high school graduation...and at his wedding. (Um, not happening, but fun to tease my son about.)
He countered with the slam of how I would be old and wrinkly by the time he got married.
Cheap shot.
I then expressed my desire to see him old and wrinkly.
With a serious tone and straight face he answered, "I'm not going to get wrinkles Mom, I (insert voice inflection here) am going to use moisturizer!"
I started laughing so hard in the parking lot I had to stop and cross my legs. (laughing while walking is a pregnancy pee hazard.)
Andrew then looked at me with distaste, smirked and said, "I'm also not going to pee my pants when I get older"...pause pause pause...."because I'm going to use moisturizer."
Twelve year old innocence (or ignorance) is bliss and really funny late at night.
But I don't blame Andrew for the old wrinkly pee pants slam. I kind of deserve it. Last week I had one of those parenting moments that will give me joy for years and years to come at Andrew's expense.
Andrew called Friday around noon from school and confessed he forgot his band shirt for pictures.
I groaned and then agreed to bring it in.
When I showed up at the school I was lucky enough to be there right before a class change.
Bonus!
I found his next period, kindly asked his English teacher which chair was Andrews and then parked my pregnant behind in Andrews seat.
There is nothing quite like sitting and watching 7th graders waltz into a classroom and then stop and gawk at the old pregnant lady sitting in a fellow students seat.
Andrew strolled into his class innocently all smiles and swagger...and then stopped dead in his tracks when he saw me. His face, starting at his chin and climbing to his forehead, flushed bright red. It was awesome!
"Hi Andrew! I brought your band shirt that you forgot!"
I only wish I had the guts to have hugged him and used my magical mom spit to wash some dirt off his face.
I think it's a good thing that he knows I can come INTO his classroom anytime I feel the need or desire. It keeps him on his middle school toes.
Have I mentioned how much I love this kid. Really I do. The only thing I love more than him is teasing him. It gives me parental satisfaction and joy more than anything else.
No comments:
Post a Comment