Saturday, February 23, 2013

It's amazing what we get accomplished when we stay in our pj's

This morning started off with gf blueberry pancakes and bacon.
I then frosted some brownies I was asked to make for a dinner in our ward.
That right there is enough to say my day was a success.  
Pancakes, bacon and frosting...'nuff said.

But, that's not how my day ended.  There was much more to accomplish.
Steve and I cracked the whip and assigned Saturday chores to our kids and ourselves.  They were slow to get to work but eventually finished.  Carter's favorite chore was "eat cookies."  I added that one just for fun.  Steve didn't love my special add on to his list..."Kiss Jill Lots."  He might have said "eewww."

Steve had a friend over so he could cut out his son's pinewood derby car and then Steve and I both started working on science fair boards. (Oh the humanity)
This all happened why the kids pretended to mop the floor.  Buffing lightly while scooting your rear end across the floor in an awkward dance-like pattern doesn't count as mopping.  
 Yes Andrew, I mean you!

Steve then ran a few errands (may or may not have included Chick-Fil-A) while I stayed home and worked on boards some more.  (No really...the humanity) 
He picked up a few things I had forgotten at the grocery store, like lemons, but I promise the obesity sized container of cheese balls was NOT on my list.

Fast forward a few hours...I'm still working on science fair boards and Steve leaves the house again (he didn't stay in his pj's.  I'm the only one who did that) to take Andrew to buy speakers for his room.
Andrew has a grand vision for his room that involves a rocking sound system and movie projector.
I won't break the news to him that even in his 10x10 room, $20 speakers might not count as bone shaking or rocking.   But I have broken the news that I will NOT pay for a movie projector.  He will have to pay for that one himself.  (good luck buddy)
However the price...Andrew is still excited about his speakers.

After the speakers were paid for, the crew found themselves at a car dealership and brought home this beauty to show off.
 If you are thinking, "What in the crap is that tiny clown car?", let me explain pictorially.
This clown car is a...

and Steve really wants one.
And so does Andrew...and Carter...and Colby...and Saylor.
Want proof?

Check out Carters sweet happiness moves around the car.
I took about ten different shots of this dance, but for his dignity's sake, I'll only post two.

 And for the record, Andrew is giving a thumbs up...not a middle finger up.

 I caught this picture right after Steve told me to "knock it off and get in the car"
 I squeezed my carcass into this four-seater to appease my children and spouse.
I was really nice inside, but because I am 8 months pregnant (advanced whale syndrome) I was claustrophobic the moment I sat down.
I even hummed a little circus music to get my point across to Steve.
This car is for people with big floppy shoes...or those who are not "whaling it" on a daily basis. 


 I thought I'd capture a few pics of the interior...but just ended up mortifying myself instead.
Look close...closer...closer.
YES!
That is my reflection perfectly captured in the gear shift.
Please appreciate the huge belly and poka-dot pajama pants.
I'm a beaut I tell ya!

Steve went on to drive a Mini Cooper with the kids too.  Didn't get any pictures of that one, but I must admit I liked the look better than the Fiat.  I would be outvoted though.  Everyone else feels like a circus mobile would fit our clown family better.
Steve desperately wants a small zippy car (he would say sporty and fast) and I would love for him to have one- he works so hard for us- but we both know it's not in the card right now.  
We have a baby to pay for, a van to pay off, taxes to cover, insulin to buy...and the list goes on.
(For the record, I'm not complaining or pleading the poor mouth.  Actually quite grateful we have everything we need.  But, it is fun to dream and look forward to new things.  I would rather have new living room furniture, new double oven, new bedroom furniture, new carpet....and the fun wishful list goes on.  No pining, just dreaming.)

Sadly, because these dreamed after cars are so tiny, one of our offspring had to stay at home inbetween trips to the dealer and our house. 

Carter took his turn at home in stride by practicing on his new phone.
Come again?
Carter has a phone?

 Indeed.
And the nine year old is a whiz at texting already.

Here's proof.
I'm secretly dying of happiness.
As soon as this science fair is over, I'm no longer going to the school for Carter's lunches.
He is going to do this himself with his new found skill of phone awesomeness.
(I'll write about my trepidation at a later time, but for now, I'm just excited about not having to drag a newborn into a germ infested school cafeteria.)


More everyday stuff happened around here...but finally at 6:30 tonight I finished the boys' science fair boards.  I'm relieved they are done.  I can officially mark off one more thing from my "get finished before Grady comes" list.

 Sneak Peak of Colby's

Sneak Peak of Carter's.

I'm so proud of Carter this year.  He stuck with me almost the entire time I was working on his board.  (when he wasn't texting me) Colby bee-bopped around and didn't really care how his board looked, but Carter gave his every opinion from colors used, to picture placement, to arrangement of results and graphs.  He was a trooper.
Steve compared my involvement today in our kids' science fair projects to his level of involvement in their pinewood derby cars.  
Two words.
FOR SHAME!
For his information and the worlds information...our boys did 100 times more work on their science projects then they ever do on a pinewood derby car.
(ok...maybe 10 times...or 5...or whatever)


Before we knew it it was 7pm and our kids still hadn't been fed.
We warmed up left over pizza for some of the kidlets and chicken nugget for the rest.
It was not my finest hour of cuisine...but apple slices and milk make up for that right?

Steve and I made the arrangement that I would iron shirts for church tomorrow if he would bath Saylor.
(I would rather stand than lean over a tub at this pregnancy point)
 I had to take a picture when he went into the bathroom with gloves on.
Can you say...Creepy??
Steve cut one thumb pretty bad the other day and the other has eczema on the other that drives him nuts.   This is the only way he would give baths.
I have to laugh at him that he doesn't remember how to work without gloves...an occupational hazard.
His face shows how he feels about me taking pictures.

Creepy dentist gloves or not, Saylor got her bath.

Steve then left with the two oldest boys to clean the office and go for a Kiwi Loco run.
He brought me home a swirl of chocolate and vanilla smothered in peanut butter cups.
(he must have forgiven me for the creepy dentist comments)

Later tonight?
Steve is going to finish his talk for sacrament meeting tomorrow.
I'm going to iron shirts for church (I made that deal and now have to live with it).
Hopefully I'll get a few batches of laundry finshed too...I hate looking at laundry on Sunday.
Might even change into a clean pair of pajamas before I crawl into bed- figuring I'm still wearing what I woke up in.

1 comment:

  1. Miss you guys and all your craziness! Can't believe you're 8 mo preggo and that carter has a phone!!!!!! Just miss your sweet family! You were such a blessing to ours!

    ReplyDelete